Background image


Whether you are about to move in or already live together, we can draft a cohabitation agreement to give contractual certainty over financial matters.

Call us on 01284 701131

Today, many couples choose to live together without getting married or entering a civil partnership. In the past, this could lead to complications in dividing assets at the end of a relationship, but with declaration of trusts, cohabitation agreements and separation rights, protecting assets is not nearly as complicated as it once was.

Request a callback

In submitting your details, you accept that your data will be held for the purpose of this enquiry and in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Why have a cohabitation agreement?

Couples enter into a cohabitation agreement for many different reasons. It could be that you or your partner has funded a larger share of the house, and you would like to be reflected in an agreement. Or perhaps you want to make it clear exactly how much each of you should pay towards the mortgage, household running costs and property repairs if the relationship comes to an end.

For many couples, having an agreement in place helps to lessen the likelihood of future disputes and can even put to bed those awkward discussions around property ownership and responsibilities.

Call 01284 701131 to book an appointment

Cohabitation agreement expertise

Our experienced cohabitation agreement lawyers have the expertise to help protect your security. Simply contact us today to find out what your options are.

Cup or tea

What happens if my relationship has already broken down and I have a dispute?

When a married couple cannot agree between themselves how their financial assets should be divided, family courts can step in to ensure equality and fairness. But the same cannot be said for cohabitating couples, even if they share children. The laws guiding judges on unmarried couples fall under ‘civil law’ rather than family legislation.

If you have a cohabitation agreement already in place, handling a dispute is far less complicated. The main asset you share is likely to be your home. But what are your options if you do not have an agreement or a declaration of trust?

No case is the same, but we have built up years of expertise in what can be a complicated area of the law. Whatever your family’s situation, we have the experience, knowledge, and understanding to help you through the difficult times.

What usually happens in the event of a dispute of property ownership is that solicitors will look to the trusts of land and appointment of Trustee’s act 1996. Known as a TLATA case, the presumption is that the property is held in the way it is recorded.

You may see this is unfair if you’ve been contributing financially to the mortgage and running costs of the property, even if the property is solely held in your partner’s name. Our family law solicitors can advise you on whether you have strong enough case to show “equitable interest” in the property. This is where it can be shown that you have contributed financially to the mortgage or have spent money improving the property and thereby increasing its value.

We can also advise you on what your options are should you decide to leave a property you jointly own. Who continues to pay the mortgage and other bills and what bearing could this have on the balance of the proceeds of the sale of a house being fairly distributed?

Read More

Discover your options for a fixed fee

When a relationship breaks down, it can be an emotional time. Our preferred way to resolve issues is to help you come to an agreement without going to court. If you want to know where you stand and what your options are, we offer a one-to-one family law consultation for a fixed fee of £149.

Simply call Burnett Barker Solicitors on 01284 701131 to book your appointment.

Here to help

Other services you may be interested in...

As your family circumstances change, you may need advice on a range of other matters. It could be that you need us to help you buy or sell a home, or perhaps you need your Will re-written now that life is different. Please just ask if there is anything we can help you with.

Residential Conveyancing


Learn more
Wills >and probate

and probate

Learn more
Fixed Fee<br/>Consultations

Fixed Fee

Learn more

Related news & insights